Join me in welcoming Jenn from Rebel Chick’s Journey for today’s guest post. She has some valuable ziplining tips for us!
Last year, I went to Jamaica and did something that I thought I’d never do – I went ziplining!
I have a fear of heights, so when I realized that we were going to be zipping across Y.S. Falls, I had a moment of panic and doubt…
That whole “Life is too short to have regrets” motto of mine? It came into play as I was climbing my way up the falls to begin the ziplining experience. I gave myself a little pep talk and rationalized with myself; I took the safety course, my guides knew what they were doing and I didn’t want to regret not experiencing what it felt like to careen over a beautiful waterfall in Jamaica for the rest of my life!
So I did it.
And I loved it!
I loved it so much, in fact, that when my daughter and I go on a cruise for Spring Break this year, we are going ziplining in Jamaica. Unfortunately, it will be a different area of Jamaica, but I am certain it will be just as exhilarating!
Since I’ve already done this once, I feel that I am prepared for our adventure together. I want to share with you the same tips I’ve shared with my daughter to prepare her for ziplining!
5 Tips for a Safe and Fun Ziplining Experience
- Pay attention to your guide. They will tell you how to do everything from grabbing the harness properly to how to “land”. And by “land” I don’t mean crashing into your guide going what seems like a hundred miles an hour because you forgot how to land because while he explained how to do it, you were too busy worrying about what your hair looked like in that funky helmet…Seriously, pay attention.
- Wear sneakers. This might seem like a given, but I saw people wearing flip flops as they climbed up the waterfall in Jamaica, and after they went ziplining? They walked away barefoot. When you’re flying through the air, you want to make sure your shoes fly with you, not away from you!
- Dress in form-fitting clothing. When you are getting dressed with gear by a complete stranger, you want to make sure that they are able to properly assess your body shape so that they can adjust your harness properly. What’s the harness? Oh, just the thing that holds your body while you are zipping through the sky! I wore shorts and a tee shirt that fit comfortably, and my guide was able to suit me up properly. It was strange having a stranger do this but it’s best that the guide do it – they know what they are doing!
- Choose gloves that fit you. My hands are small, so most of the gloves that they had available were much too big for me. What happens when you wear gloves that are too big for you? You have a hard time grasping your harness properly…which is not a good thing. You need to be able to properly grasp the harness and the rope for when you slow down and come to a stop.
- Have fun. Ziplining is such an amazing feeling, it was one of the most exhilirating things I’ve ever done! Once you have gone through your safety course and begin your journey, just enjoy it!
For more travel tips and reviews visit Jenn at Rebel Chick’s Journey.